Brian Currie - Managing Director
- Tom, where did your automotive journey start? I began my journey as an apprentice at Brian Currie’s Bedford depot. In 1994, I started on the brand new dynamic DAF Apprenticeship Programme in Bristol. After just a few years, I was one of the first to succeed. This enabled me to start working as a qualified technician soon. In 1999 I seized the opportunity to apply for the nightshift foreman’s role, and there began my career path.
- What skills did you need and learn? Overall, working as a Foreman gave me a good understanding of effective communication, customer service and management in general. After three years on nights with a young family growing at home, I grasped the next opportunity that came along as dayshift foreman/workshop controller. Along with this move, came more responsibility and more vehicles. Also, more customers and staff members to deal with.
- You have had a career full of opportunities and achievements, tell us more about it. Subsequently, the prospect of a dual service manager’s job arose. I progressed and after handling various managerial roles I obtained the aftersales director position for the Brian Currie Group in 2010. This was a game changer for me. With 125 employees to manage, my personal development grew and grew. In particular, I worked alongside the Board of Directors and assisted in the acquisitions of various businesses. In December 2017, our Chairman Brian Currie announced to 147 members of staff that I, along with Finance Director Des Conway, would become joint managing directors for Brian Currie Milton Keynes Ltd.
- Why would you recommend an apprenticeship? My apprenticeship set me on the path to career success. Studying for my apprenticeship gave me confidence and equipped me with a wide range of transferable skills that I still use today.
- Apprenticeships at Brian Currie Ltd. Brian Currie Milton Keynes Ltd has been associated with the city of Milton Keynes since 1977 when it was appointed a DAF truck service dealer. From the small operation in Newport Pagnell, Brian Currie MK Ltd has gradually expanded. Brian Currie has grown to keep pace with the ever-changing demand of the truck and van logistics. Now, it has depots in Milton Keynes, Northampton and Bedford. Chairman Brian Currie and Managing Directors Des Conway and Tom Osborne really know their stuff when it comes to apprenticeships.Brian Currie’s Apprenticeship Schemes through DAF and Volkswagen are highly valued. They put real emphasis on training while you work. Apprentices work 40 hours per week on their 36-month programme. Over the years these programmes have opened the doors for many young people, people like Managing Director Tom Osborne.