- When did you become interested in cars? I became interested in cars from a very young age. Often, I helped my dad work on his own cars and motorbikes at a family friend’s local garage. I also helped out on the family farm which would sometimes include maintaining the machinery with my grandad.
- What did you want to do after school? I left school with a string of GCSE’s and knew that I wanted to start a career in a practical industry such as engineering or mechanics. With this in mind, I decided to enrol in an advanced engineering course at my local college. On passing my course, I considered university to complete a Civil Engineering degree. However, I missed the practical “hands-on” element of motor mechanics.
- What training have you taken part in? I focused on finding a motor vehicle apprenticeship. Despite several knock-backs, I contacted my local training body and enrolled on a NVQ course without a guaranteed placement. The tutors at my college were so impressed with my progress that they found a place for me very quickly. This lead to joining Islington in September 2013.
- What skills or qualifications have you acquired? Since joining Islington, I achieved my IMI accreditation in numerous areas of motor vehicle disciplines. This includes Level 3 maintenance and repair competences and ICT. I have also recently become a fully qualified MOT inspector.
- What are your aspirations for the future? I put my success down to having a supportive and understanding mentor along with a great working environment and team. Whilst, I’m keen to further my diagnostic skills and knowledge, I have a real interest in the management side of the service operation. I have also asked to sit alongside various members of the customer-facing team and my managers to understand more about the car service industry. In summary, I love coming to work and being able to help my family and friends with any car related problems. There is no better way to learn a skill than to fully embrace an apprenticeship and I recommend it to anyone.
View Careers at Islington Motor Group