Group 1 - Product Genius
- How did you get into the automotive industry? I started working at Chandlers Hailsham BMW in March 2012. After finishing my 2-year College course in September 2011, I worked for an agency doing temporary work before Chandlers offered me a Customer Service Apprenticeship.
- What did your role involve? During my first few weeks, I was based in the contact centre answering the main reception phone. I then moved to the BMW showroom and started helping out within the Service Department. My main responsibilities were taking service booking phone calls, checking in customers and organising of the next day’s job cards.
- What skills did you need and acquire along the way? Working within the Service Department helped build my confidence in dealing with customers and learning all about the technical side of a vehicle. After around six months, I began training as a Service Advisor. I was looking after and managing my own customers, getting cars through the workshop, invoicing and taking payments. My time with the Service department had opened my eyes to the world of BMW and I really enjoyed being able to help customers resolve problems. In January 2014, I was introduced to the role of BMW Product Genius. At this point, I had finished my Customer Service Apprenticeship and started a second apprenticeship in Sales & Telesales. My day to day focused on doing test drives with customers, keeping up to date with product updates and showing customers all the controls and technology when collecting their new car.
- Have you done any training? I have completed several training courses and product launches at the BMW Training Academy. As a result, in May 2015 I became an accredited and certified BMW Product Genius. The training included a complete overview of the BMW brand and in-depth technical information about the cars and engine technology. Since my accreditation, I have completed my Sales apprenticeship and took part in many events both at the dealership and in the local area. I have also been involved in talks with BMW about the future and development of the Genius role.
- What have you learnt? After five years, I have learnt so much. Not only about BMW but also about working life, customer service, and sales techniques. Currently, I am putting all this into practice as I have now sold nearly 20 cars. I have made it my goal to learn everything I can about BMW. I have a huge passion for the brand and hope to continue enhancing the customer experience to the best of my ability.