Vantage - Customer Consultant
- What was your first job and how did you get into the automotive industry?The first job that I ever had was in a restaurant. I started waitressing on weekends, but then progressed to a Supervisor level and worked full time while I was in University. I have always had a passion to keep learning and progressing. When I came to the end of my degree I decided that I wanted a job that had great career potential. Once I saw the advertisement for the Trainee Customer Consultant job at Vantage Toyota Preston, it intrigued me. After doing some of my own research on the position and company, I decided to try something new. I am glad that I did because I love my job!
- What are the best and most challenging aspects of your job?The best and, at the same time, most challenging aspect of my job is that every day is different. When you are working in a customer facing role you get a different experience with each customer that you see. It is challenging as you need to learn how to deal with different types of people and how to accommodate each of their needs. However, since you never know what to expect, it keeps every day interesting!
- Did you have to undergo any training?Throughout my time at Vantage, I have been to many different training sessions, especially in the trainee customer consultant role. During the first six months in my position, I have spent a lot of time at the Toyota Training Academy, learning new things that have helped me in my role. As I was new to sales, I found this incredibly useful in my first six months. I spent these months applying the new practices that I had learnt at the training academy to the workplace. This quickly became a natural part of my role.
- What are the main perks of your job?The most obvious is the potential to earn a competitive salary and the company car that comes with the sales position. But also the opportunity to be part of a close team that supports you. This is essential in my position and has made it possible for me, as someone who had never done this job before, to be welcomed into the workplace.
- Do you have any tips or recommendations for those who are thinking of getting into the industry?My experience has shown me that people should not hold back from taking the risk to make a change. I was nervous to make such a drastic career change, going from working in a restaurant and studying History at university, to becoming a sales executive in the motor industry. But I am very happy that I did and Vantage has supported me throughout my time with them. I personally think that Vantage provides a lot of training and opportunities for its employees and supports them throughout. So, for anyone thinking of getting into the motor industry, I would definitely recommend it!