Marshall - Service Advisor
- How did you start your career in automotive? I was just finishing college and I had previously worked in other sectors like the hair and beauty industry. So, I went to college because I was thinking about going to University, but when I finished college I realised that wasn’t what I wanted to do. I didn’t have a great deal of knowledge about the automotive industry, but I’ve always been quite interested in cars, so I thought that was a good starting point. I went for an interview to originally go to sales, but I got an opportunity to work on reception, which was brilliant because I could understand how every area of the dealership works. This made me realize that the service department was much more suited to me.
- Describe your career so far and your day-to-day job duties I’ve done a lot of work for the sales and service departments, which gave me a real insight into how both departments worked. I’ve also done bits of admin roles such as invoicing. Now that I’m on the service department, I take a lot of calls and book people in for vehicle services. There’s a lot of learning and it’s really interesting since there’s a lot of technical knowledge you can gain.
- What do you enjoy about your role and what do you find most challenging? I absolutely love it. There’s so much diversity in the work and you get to learn so many different things. Since I have only been in this role for a few weeks, it is still quite challenging at the moment as I’m still learning. Doing the invoices can be quite challenging because there are a lot of technical aspects to know.
- What’s something you’re proud of through your job? I will do a first aid course soon. There are so many courses and extra things to do which are helpful that I’d like to take part in.
- Do you have any plans or goals for the future? At the moment, I just want to be the best at the job I am doing. I’m going to take it one step at a time and get everything I can from this opportunity.
- What advice would you give people thinking of starting a career in the automotive sector? You should be open-minded to it. People should do some research into it to see how many opportunities are available and how diverse the whole of the motor industry is, you will probably find something that is right for you.