Perrys - Dealer Principal
- What was your first job?I started out as an account assistant at the Perrys Milton Keynes dealership in 1998. It was a job I took to pay for a holiday and I didn’t really think at the time that I would stay beyond that trip. However, it suddenly became clear that there were a multitude of opportunities across the group. I realised I could remain to make a career for myself.
- Best and most challenging aspects of your role?Having a happy team is paramount to the success of any business. When the workforce is as large as the one we have at Perrys Aylesbury it would seem easy to lose touch to those outside. However, my office is front and centre on the showroom floor, the door is always open. I actively encourage creativity as well as support ideas with a, ‘why not?’ attitude.
- Skills and training required?Initially, it will be the drive for success and having the appropriate attitude to get your foot in the door. Once you are in, full training is offered from the Foundation to Advanced Sales Training. This gives you the core skills and goes beyond that point through career progression on to Business and Bluewater Management Training. Most importantly, use your strengths and never stop learning from what others are doing.
- Other perks of the job?You get to work with cars! There are the monetary incentives which can be hugely rewarding. Plus, internal and external awards recognising everything from service to sales for those who go the extra mile or excel in their field.
- Any other tips for young people getting into the industry?Just because you start off in one area of the business doesn’t mean you couldn’t eventually move sideways into another role. As long as you have the enthusiasm and are driven, you can go in any direction you want.